Come to me, all you are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Mathew 11:28-30 NIV)
The Lord calls on us in our trouble. He calls us to seek healing from him whether it is physical healing, spiritual healing or psychological/emotional healing.
People only consider physical and spiritual healing to be very important but emotional healing only when necessary. They think physical healing is important because it plagues the whole body and one can easily point out and say my head is aching. They feel spiritual healing is important because one’s relationship with God is paralysed. However, in the aspect of psychological healing, we say someone should get over it. We forget our brain chemistry is in paralysis. We forget that once we suffer psychologically, we suffer both physically and spiritually.
The Lord Jesus himself is referred to as wonderful counsellor – Isaiah 9:6. The Lord God Almighty is a restorer, a healer, the great physician and the Holy Spirit is a comforter. The attributes of healing, comforting and restoring are things that counsellors do in the therapy rooms with their clients. Furthermore, God equips us in his word with healing and comfort during our time of emotional distress. The Bible helps people suffering from mental illness in various ways.
The Lord hears when they call and gives them comfort at that time of need.
- The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles.
- The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
- The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all
- He protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.
The Lord promises to restore you back to psychological wellness when you call to him.
Call to me and I will answer you and I will show you great and unsearchable things that you do not know.
God cares for us. On the comfort of his shoulders, he will carry you.
1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because He cares for you.
He can do all things. He conquered death on the cross, nothing is impossible with on Him.
Luke 1:37 KJV
For with God nothing shall be impossible.
We feel our minds are caged but His plans for us are great
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
He assures that things will get better, we will be better and that all things work together for good
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.
Jesus died so that our psychological wounds will be healed
- Surely He took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered Him punished by God, stricken by Him, and afflicted.
- But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds, we are healed.
The Lord knows, He hears and is working on your healing
The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
Mental illness does not make you any less of His child
- For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
- Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
So be comforted for God hears, He understands and He will deliver you